Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Is Anybody Listening?

I've often wondered what spurred people to empty the contents of their entire lives onto social media. Today a thought occured to me: maybe people do it because they know that's the only way someone will really listen to what they have to say.  Think about it. If you walk up to someone and start talking they can be zoning you out or reciting the alphabet quietly to themselves while you speak unbeknownst to you.  However, if you write a blog, someone has to go to your site and personally choose to read what you have written. That means that they care what you have to say, and even more so if they decide to respond.  There is nothing like communicating with someone and having them actually give a crap about how you feel, what you're going through, and what you're up to.

Have you ever seen a Facebook scenario similar to this:
Alice writes, "Fml. What a dreary day."
Jennifer writes, "Oh no, Alice! What happened?"
Karen writes, "Who's messing with you, girl? Don't make me have to come down there."
Then underneath Karen's comment you see 30 more comments all trying to figure out what's going on with Alice.

In regular life, how often do we walk past our coworkers or family members and ask how are you doing as a formality, only to walk away before the answer is even given?  Somehow in the virtual world people begin to show compassion and become concerned with other people's lives.  I've learned more about people I thought I knew via Facebook than real interactions with them.  Why is that?

Though I don't plan to divulge my social security number, menstrual cycle and other intimate details on the Internet, I can say that having this blog is having a therapeutic effect on me.  I can get my thoughts out without having to say them aloud. I can release frustrations, joys, and whatever else I feel.  Lastly, I know that if you're here you truly came to listen.  That is priceless.

1 comment:

  1. Book recommendations: Tim Wu's "The Master Switch" and Jaron Lanier's "You are not a Gadget".

    ReplyDelete